22 July 2011
In parallel universe somewhere out there I have a successful career as a foley artist, surely the greatest job in the world. Horses, Major Bloodnok's stomach and mad cows. Reece Shearsmith out of off of The League Of Gentlemen and Psychoville examines the use of sound effects in radio.
18 July 2011
"Sir Tim Rice explores the lasting appeal of British magazine Eagle and the impact of its flagship character Dan Dare. Eagle ran in two main incarnations between 1950 and 1994. Dan Dare, is regarded in some circles as the greatest British science fiction hero of the 20th century.
In this feature Sir Tim Rice charts the influences behind the magazine, and explores the life of its creator Marcus Morris, a fascinating man who began the publication because of his concern over 'horrific' US comics which presented 'disturbing' storylines which he felt 'corrupted British youth'.
The programme reveals how Dan Dare was originally envisaged as a space chaplain before becoming the popular astronaut. It also examines the work of illustrator Frank Hampson who introduced technology years ahead of its time. Hampson knew the Space Age was on its way while serving in the Second World War and seeing the German V2 rockets. He made the Dan Dare strips as realistic as possible by dressing his team in spacesuits and uniforms, basing the look of the fictional characters on his colleagues.
Featuring contributions from author Philip Pullman, Sally Morris the daughter of Eagle Creator Marcus and Eagle Society member David Britton.
The programme is written by Roger Dobson and is produced by Stephen Garner.
16 July 2011
12 July 2011
01. The Jimmy Haskell Orchestra - Blast Off!
02. Silver Apples - Lovefingers
03. John Matthews - Banshee Boogie
04. Ennio Morricone - Placcaggio
05. Raymond Scott - Limbo: The Organised Mind
06. Tony McPhee - The Hunt (Jung Collective Edit)
07. The Black Cat - Numbers feat. Rare Moods & Dom Farkas
08. Francois de Roubaix - Les Pirates
09. Tongues Of Fire - Pathway
10. Sven Libaek - In The Wave
11. The Advisory Circle - Seasons Change
12. Enrico Simonetti with Goblin - Drugs Theme
13. Jon Kennedy - Live Test
14. Raymond Scott - General Motors: Futurama
15. Roger Roger - Rhythm 1
16. Douglas Wood - Romantic Sway
17. Miles Davis - Inamorata & Narration by Conrad Roberts
18. Ron Geesin - Syncopot
19. Johnny Hawksworth - Roobarb & Custard
20. Jung Collective - Just For John
21. Goblin - Death Dies
22. Raymond Scott - Auto Lite: Wheels
23. Superspirit - We Are The Stars
24. Wavemaker - Tunnel Of Love
25. The Sounds Of Tomorrow - The Diamond
26. John Baker - COI Technology Pavilion
27. Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery (7" edit)
28. Thomas Dissevelt - Ignition
29. Jean Francis Engel - Knitting
30. Lab Rat - Ha! Why E (Jung Collective Rehash)
31. John Baker - Vendetta: The Sugar Man
32. Belbury Poly & Moon Wiring Club - Portals & Parallels
33. John Baker - The Caves Of Steel
34. Jung Collective - The Wicker Man (Rampant Rabbit Mix)
11 July 2011
9 July 2011
It's been said before but you just don't get great theme tunes any more. My current favourite here and deliverer of the greatest Proustian rush whilst I was ripping this one - Van McCoy's The Shuffle. Instantly back to childhood Saturday mornings with Sport On Four coming out of the kitchen radio.
Take it away Music Mike!